About

This summer I'll be setting up a new tank, a 29 gallon with live breeders and driftwood.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Dollar Weed

     Most of the people who live in a rainy or semi-tropical environment recognize a dollar weed when they see one, or at least not by the name. Well, when I saw this aquarium plant, I knew what is *really* was. So, I did a little research. I found it is seriously used as an aquatic plant, and goes anywhere from 100% submerged to 100% ammersed. Cool right? So i figured I'd try to grow some. It's odd how this is an insane weed, (see), but it's considered a high maintenance and very hard plant to grow. Lmfao. So I checked my yard for the little weed, and didn't find any. So I skated over to the park, which has a back grassy dip in between two mini hills. It's the back of the park, and no one goes there. The dip is full of weeds, So I call it Weed Valley. It's my secret little corner of the park. I went dollar weed hunting (its apparently called a whorled penny-wort in the aquarium community) and I had a hell of a time digging up a small bunch. I put it in my cute little Easter basket I use to hold hair bows in, and skated home. Then I used my extra supplies, my liquid water fertilizer, and my handy dandy jar to set up a nano of whorled pennyworth. I put it on my windowsill in full sun, so we'll see how it does! P.S~ Are you as obsessed with the aqua scape as I am? I seem to be developing a knack for this!

3 comments:

  1. I really like your blog! I saved it to my Pinterest page so I don't forget about it and others can find the link there too! I too am obsessed with aqua scape as you are! I have some photos of my African Dwarf Frogs on http://simplesue.livejournal.com if you wan to peek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am experementing how lomg will it survive in my aquarium..I am planning to be away for winter and see what will happend with my fish without changing my aquarium water..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you have mentioned some very interesting points , regards for the post. Nj weed delivery

    ReplyDelete