About

This summer I'll be setting up a new tank, a 29 gallon with live breeders and driftwood.

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Life of Tadpole Joey

I went to go explore/ catch fish in the canal and pond near my house. I saw nice fish, and a cute pair of adult fish guading their thousands of fry. But, all I caught that day was four of the biggest tadpoles I could find. I identified them as cane toads. I set them up in a jar of algae covered rocks from my tank, and they devoured it all within 15 minutes.
Over the time of five days, 3 of the tadpoles passed away, leaving me one. I named him Joey.

I kept him for weeks. His legs got bigger, and he had little arm stubs. So then I transferred him into my cracked 2.5 gallon tank, and set it up with a water and land part, so he could crawl out. I found him one day after school, a frog! He jumped around, and he was adorable. Only thing was, he hadnt grown his front legs yet! He fell on his face with every leap, and he formed his lungs before his arms. At first, he ate a few bloodworms. But then, he wouldn't touch any more. For 3 days he wouldn't eat, so I prepared to let him go. The day before Joey was to be released, he passed away. I buried the poor soul by Kavi, so he may live out his life in frog heaven.
**Photos to come soon**

No comments:

Post a Comment